the-storyspace

Pages

20 June, 2009

L2TD #3 wikis

I've not had a lot to do with wikis - my previous workplace was not very 2.0. I have explored use of wetpaint wikis and find them, along with nings, potentially useful in a professional capacity (businesses, services, etc). Teachers were always warning students against use of wikipedia, but I believe you should embrace it if you understand its limitations. It's a ready reference tool. For instance, if you find yourself wondering 'what ever happened to Matt Dillon?' because you loved The Outsiders as a highschooler, then you'd just go here, which would lead you to the IMDB, both of which offer you total indulgence on the subject. And if you can dig yourself out of that timewarp you can follow leads to cross check facts. Check out Unshelved today!
I've used The Outsiders to teach the concept of autobiographical writing. Reading the novel led me to read Gone With The Wind and seek out Robert Frost's poetry.

I like Antioch Uni's model for staff procedures because you can track changes which is essential for recordkeeping.
The wikipedia entry for this geographical region is comprehensive and accurate with good links to respected sites, and I suspect was written by someone in Council.

First wiki on Mary's list I revisited was SLQ's Library 2.0 site - an incredibly comprehensive compilation of information from the Emerging Technology and New Media sessions. Following a link within I was led to two sites which provided information I can use for a work project.

SJCPL's subject guide wiki is attractive and thoughtfully compiled. A great ref. guide for browsers in so many areas. It combines weblinks, info text, collection suggestions with images and community information.

Library Success: A best practices wiki is too heavily text based in comparison, but is packed with practical information and guidance. It's still a work in progress but contains useful suggestions on job hunting and self-promotion.

I like SLQ's 2.0 wiki most of the three. For extensive subjects you could have one whole wiki for each one (like the SLQ's), linked to the head wiki.

I've contributed to threads on the above website - a sample here:
  • I think it would be useful to have workplace post-program analysis of 2.0 programs so that staff can reflect on what direction their service will then take. What worked, what didn't? Which applications can you develop to support the service for clients. Or build a demo into the program - guide other staff on what you can use a particular application for.
  • Remember it's not something you're doing for you per se. It's something you're learning so that you can enhance your service to clients - thus it's a must do.

Adding was incredibly simple. Yes, I can see a definite place for wikis at work - readers' and researchers' advisory, subject guides, procedure manuals, service promotion...

No comments: