Joanna mentioned that people at markets are always asking her what a zine is, so I thought I'd better have an explanation ready myself. These are my notes.
- A literary snack delivered straight from the writer to the reader: independent, organic and handmade
- five minute fiction
- an artistic literary format in which you will find stories, illustrations, images, poetry, reviews, interviews, comic strips, opinions, beliefs, etc.
- they can be privately treasured or shared
- it's about self-expression
- it's about exploring your art
- it's about getting sticky with glue and familiar with a photocopier
- it's C6-sized, A4, mini, it's handstitched, it's folded, stapled, coloured, designed, typed, handdrawn, notes in a matchbox, printed on paper, sold, given away - it's whatever you want it to be
- something anyone can make and share.
Which zines do you read?